2009년 8월 31일 월요일

Tusedays with Morrie

I read a book 'Tuesdays with Morrie', written by Mitch Albom, with a view to finishing my vacation homeworks. In fact, I already read the book when I was a middle school student. At that time, I was really impressed for wonderful messages, represented by professor 'Morrie Schwartz'. Surprisingly It was somewhat different from the prior impressions.
Let me describe a plot of the book briefly, Mitch Albom was a person, who are sports columnist as well as excessive workaholic. He accidently watch the 'NIGHT LINE', the famous talk show on ABC TV. He was so surprised that the main guest of the show is his old teacher, Morrie Schwartz. He was his professor when he was a student in Brandise University. In fact, Morrie was more than a teacher to Mitch, he was a lifelong mentos. They love each other, the professor affectionate to Mitch as a truly friend, sharing some meaningful as well as constructive messages. Unfortunately, he has been suffered from 'Lou Gehrig's disease', the disorder that causes muscle weakness and atrophy throughout the body as both the upper and lower motor neurons degenerate, ceasing to send messages to muscles.

Unable to function, the muscles gradually weaken. It is also well known to the mass, with Stephen Hawking, the famous theoretical physicist, was also severely come down with the ALS.
So Mitch decided to visit his old teacher's house in West Newton. He delayed the whole prior engagements for the meeting with Morrie. When he met his old professor, he greet him with cheers. After the first meeting, he promised to his teacher to come back on tuesdays periodically. They talked a lot of things, regarding the love, family, emotion, money, death, culture, marriage, and life.
One of the most interesting themes was about the culture. Morrie think that most of the people are subordinated to the power of culture. It means that our own angle is severely dominated by culture. He gave some example to explain specifically. Our society is too competitive to survive, most people unconditionally think only for themselves, pursuing the materialism, excluding the concepts of co-existence, corporation, and teamwork. Furthermore, culture compulsorily requires person to follow their formula like a cookie cutter. Then, People lost their own viewpoint, falling in delusion. They still don't know what is the most important thing in their life. He concluded that culture hamper forming a person's own true standpoint.
Morrie usually said 'Love each other or Die' to Mitch. He believed that the most precious thing is 'love'. Money, luxurious car, up-scaled APT, social status is something like a handful of 'ash' in the verge of the death. Frankly speaking, I was really shocked at his instructions. I have intensively praised 'materialism'. I always study very hard to obtain social status and wealth. But I aware that the most precious thing is social relationship connected with the wonderful emotions, love, friendship, and good manner. Furthermore, I noticed that the Family, who could devote themselves for myself with unconditional love, is much more important for me than any other things.
In the end, Morrie, the lifelong teacher, passed away in 1995 with the memory of the peace and warm heart. After I read the book, I felt a lot of things about me. What is the most important thing for my life, What is the main purpose of studying? for meaningless things or precious things.

댓글 5개:

  1. You did a good job. Impressive, 한희쌤!!

    답글삭제
  2. Hello. I'm Sohee Im from class 1-5. Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving your comment. Your book report is nice! I was also impressed by this book. Have a nice weekend:)

    답글삭제
  3. 작성자가 댓글을 삭제했습니다.

    답글삭제
  4. I'm really sorry for saying this,
    i miscommented on your essay:(
    i thought this was somebody else's,
    so,.. i tried to fix my comment but i couldn't do that(I don't know the reason)
    if you can, plz delete my former one?

    whatever, what i stated in the former comment was not a kind of lie at all :)
    yours maybe the one of most impressive essays i've ever read!

    I hope you'll be able to get perfect scores in midterm! see ya XD

    답글삭제
  5. It's nice book report for us to read. I agree with your perspective on living. You will receive 10 points for your blog project. You did a good job.

    답글삭제